Monday, January 31, 2011

Orsanmichele

Today my Art of Florence class took and impromptu trip to The church of San Michele- this building is super close to school and I just haven't walked in that direction I guess because I had never noticed it! 


Inside of the church is Orcagna's Gothic Tabernacle which has a painting of "Madonna and Child" inside.
 It is beautiful and does not look like it is real life! 


Orcagna worked under Pisano, who we have been learning about in class. The tabernacle he made is considered: "the most perfect work of its kind in Italian Gothic"

The church itself as niche's that have sculptures in them however, they are not the originals. The originals are inside on the second level because the city of Florence didn't want weather or Della Quints (thats delinquents to everyone else not on 142 Dublin) ruining the works. 

Sadly I was unable to take photographic evidence of these originals, so I am going back to draw some. 


We were about to leave and someone told us we should go upstairs for a panoramic view-

PROS AND CONS OF WALKING UP THOSE 57, yes 57 STEPS:

Pros:
hello duomo!

Piazza della Repubblica

Cons:
1. Jillian Michael's workout video kicked my butt and my calves really hurt.
...they still really hurt
waaaah!



After that it was back to class for Ancient Rome and Italian. 
Mom was asking to see some of the inside of school, so here it is:


To the left of the red couch and straight through is where I have Art of Florence. 
If you take the door on the right and go left, you will find me in Italian from the hours of 12:30 to 1:30 pm (Monday through Thursday)

After class Marlene, Devon and I went to "I Fratellini", a gooooood (and affordable) panini place that Devon's friend took us to!


Right now it is 9:40 and I am finishing up some homework! (Mom and Dad, be proud!)

On the books this week: 
Cooking class!


No comments:

Post a Comment