Saturday, February 5, 2011

Italian Lesson


I am going to attempt to explain to you all something we've learned in italian. But before I can share words I've been learning, you are going to need to learn how to pronounce them.
This may be really confusing, in which case I am sorry and you should ignore it and go to someone that knows italian and have them explain!

So there are some rules when it comes to words with the letter "c" and the letter "g", for now I am going to stick with explaining "c" words

Here goes:

 Ciao (hello)
- now you know how to say that-phonetically it is "chh"-"ow" even though it is not spelled that way. That's because in italian, words with "ci"and "ce" are pronounced with the "chhh" sound.

OR
piacere (nice to meet you)
Phontetically, it's pronounced "pee"-"ah"-"chhh"-"ere"
See what I mean? The CH sound really gets ya!


Now I'm going to rock your world:

example:
zucchero (sugar)
This word is pronounced like "zoo"-"kerr"-"o"

I KNOW RIGHT! It has the CH in it, but it is pronounced like a k! 
(other examples = caffe- "ka"-"fey")


To make things easier...

"C" is pronounced [CH] when it is before the letters "E" or "I"

"C" is pronounced [KA] when it comes before "A" or "O" or "U"

No comments:

Post a Comment